Sunday, September 8, 2013

Four is the New Three

I came across four old address books.  I mean really old.  Two were mine, and two belonged to my mother.

Mine:  Not much to say here except that one of them dated back to when I was married.  That would make it over 40 years old.  The other probably dates back about 20 years.  It got replaced with an organizer, which I still have.  Nothing exciting here.  Just addresses and phone numbers.

Hers:  These two are harder to let go of.  My mother's makes interesting reading.  Hers contain more than addresses and phone numbers.  She had quotes from Einstein and Will Rogers, notes about the benefits of lemon juice, how to say "cry baby" and "bloody nuisance" in Japanese, (She worked with some Japanese women for 35 years.), and much more.  She also had grave sites of those who had passed. She and I would go to four different cemeteries on Memorial Day every year and put flowers on all the family graves, even her ex mother-in-law whom she wasn't too crazy about.  She's been gone 25 years, so her books are as old as mine.  It's time to let go.



No comments:

Post a Comment